With a focus on operational technology and digital transformation, Capula, part of the EDF Group, has been a leader in advanced system integration for decades; optimising efficiency & delivering performance on a massive scale. But with continuous innovation at the heart of our business, we’ve always got our sights set on the future. We work in some of the most highly regulated and challenging industrial environments, and have delivered critical projects across energy, water, renewables and manufacturing.
Summary of Role:
We are looking for enthusiastic & experienced engineers to join our existing Energy team and deliver Transmission and Distribution orientated projects for National Grid and other Customers. The role includes leading design teams and ensuring compliance with the relevant National Grid TP (SR) standards, designing Substation Protection and/or Control Systems and associated cabling systems (Power, Control, Communications). The role will require the ability to undertake site surveys, develop electrical engineering solutions for cabling, undertake Substation Protection and/or Control solution designs, prepare, review and check necessary calculations and designs whilst following Capula’s design procedures. The work will involve travel with the possibility of some short periods away at customer sites carrying out the surveys, attending meetings etc.
This position would suit someone who has a good grounding in at least one of the following areas:-
Transmission and Distribution Substation Control Systems engineering
E & I Installation
And who enjoys working in an engineering environment, who is keen to become involved in all aspects of a project and is keen to learn and develop new skills as part of an experienced and committed team.
- Lead and drive all technical aspects of the project team
- Review and approve designs developed by the team, ensuring compliance with Customer Requirements and National Grid Standards as may be applicable for the project
- Design Approval and enacting the role of either LCDAE or CDAE SR188 (TP137)
- Ensure compliance of the team to agreed procedures/methods and standards with engineering design responsibilities.
- Interpret and verify customer supplied data, specifications and drawings.
- Lead/Produce system designs from customer supplied information
- Lead the Creation/modification of Design Packs including system drawings, general arrangements, schematics & wiring diagrams, site cable drawings etc.
- Produce client design documentation: Design Intent Document, Functions Design Specification, test documentation, Manuals etc
- Lead site surveys and assist in the preparation of Health and Safety Documentation
- Support the Project Manager and Others with planning the design and implantation of projects.
- Support Site acceptance testing/commissioning
- Support the production of tender documents and cost estimates.
- Experience of/competent in Substation Protection and/or control systems within the Transmission and Distribution Sector.
- Experience of/competent in field cabling systems (Power, Control and Communications) including surveying and identifying routes, cable calculations for sizing and earthing/protection
- Good working knowledge of National Grid TP (SR) Standards
- Proven experience as LCDAE / CDAE under NG/ET/SR188 (TP137)
- Educated to at least degree level in relevant subject or HND with additional experience of at least 5 years post graduate experience or 6 years post HND experience on successful project implementation in the above areas of expertise
- Computer literate with Word, AutoCAD and Excel experience.
- Methodical approach to the interpretation of customer requirements and delivery of project documentation
- Understanding of Full Project Lifecycle.
- Hold a current full driving licence (UK or be able to easily convert to full UK)
- Must be willing to go for a basic disclosure Scotland check.
- Site Installation and Commissioning experience of substation Protection and/or control systems.
- Experience of working on National Grid (Electricity Transmission) Projects
- Experienced in GE, ABB, Siemens, NR Substation Control Systems
- Good understanding of BS7671 IEE 18th Edition Wiring Regs
- Working knowledge understanding of IEC 61850
- Ability to work to deadlines and budgets.
- Natural Leader
- Ability to Lead/work as part of a team.
- Ability to work well under pressure and to deadlines and to motivate others to achieve the same.
- Have excellent communication skills.
- Be flexible in their methods of working.
In return Capula offers the following benefits to permanent employees:
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Flexible working
- Life assurance policy
- Private health care
- Lifestyle screening
- Salary sacrifice programme
- Mental health assistance programme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Green car scheme
- Support in achieving professional engineer status (IEng, CEng) and professional memberships fees covered
Lead Hardware / Electrical Engineer (Transmission and Distribution)
- Stone (hybrid working)
- Full Time | Permanent
- Job reference: E-2024-03
- Something wrong! Please double check your input.