With a focus on operational technology and digital transformation, Capula, part of the EDF Group, has been a leader in advanced system integration for decades; optimising efficiency & delivering performance on a massive scale. But with continuous innovation at the heart of our business, we’ve always got our sights set on the future. We work in some of the most highly regulated and challenging industrial environments, and have delivered critical projects across energy, water, renewables and manufacturing.
Summary of Role:
Capula is seeking a Senior Power Systems / Protection Systems Engineer with proven skills and track record in all aspects Protection relay applications and protection systems and a clear understanding of the latest substation communication Protocols and integration into Control system. The successful candidate will be based at our Stone Office. Responsible for the design and implementation of transmission and Distribution protection systems for voltages up to 400 kV.
- Producing and/or Reviewing in-house designs and those produced by external contractors.
- Experience in the concepts required in the safe design and operation of electrical networks, and development construction.
- Advising on design and design change issues.
- Specialist in an Electrical field but experience and extensive knowledge of other Engineering fields would be advantageous.
- Ensure that design projects are undertaken by competent personnel and sub-contractors reviewing designs created by others.
- Challenging, proposing, agreeing and implementing alternative solutions compared with those dictated by the transmission specifications, policies, processes and “best practices”.
- Accountable for the effective delivery of the assigned tasks and deliverables of projects to time, to the required quality and to budget.
- Undertake site visits / non-intrusive surveys as required as part of the design activities or as part of site support.
- Ensuring risks are proactively identified, assessed and managed to avoid adverse impacts on the project.
- Identification, assessment and adoption of the best technical solution.
- Client Interface management comprising infrastructure planners, project resource, direct labour / construction team, system operator, property & consents, procurement as well as co-ordinating & attending necessary site meetings.
- Risk and CDM management.
- Providing technical advice, leading by example to achieve company goals and championing a quality and safety culture
- Communicating with team members to ensure that they understand, and become engaged with, the project design, brief and client requirements
- Continually looking to enhance productivity through improved processes, procedures and systems
- Communicating effectively with all stakeholders to ensure that all parties are kept informed on all relevant matters impacting and influencing projects
- Working to ensure maximum client satisfaction, championing client care and proactively working with the client
- Deliver safe and constructible designs, minimising change and uncertainty during construction stage.
- Provide technical expertise to offer alternative more efficient solutions compared with those already used by the client
- Proven technical capability associated with the design and/or application of power system protection. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in protection application at transmission voltage levels up to 400 kV, gained within a transmission utility, consultancy or manufacturing environment. Strong candidates with a distribution background will be considered.
- Preparation of Protection and Control design deliverables, feasibility studies, reports, programmes and cost estimating.
- Experience in preparing Single Line Diagram (SLD), Key Line Drawings (KLD) and Substation Layout.
- Experience in busbar, feeder, cable, transformer and reactor protection and control; including interface with CT, VT, circuit breaker, disconnector and earthing systems.
- Experience in the preparation of detailed electrical schematic diagrams for substation Protection and Control systems.
- Calculation of relay settings and preparation of relay configuration files.
- Proven ability of working with internal and external parties, e.g. equipment suppliers, manufacturers, service providers, professional bodies, and working within a strong team-working culture.
- Good Knowledge of IEC61850 communication protocols.
- TP141 or working toward TP141 Certification
- Good knowledge of the relevant National Grid TS
- Bachelors Degree or higher in Electrical Engineering
- Chartered Engineer
In return Capula offers the following benefits to permanent employees
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Flexible working
- Life assurance policy
- Private health care
- Lifestyle screening
- Salary sacrifice programme
- Mental health assistance programme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Green car scheme
- Support in achieving professional engineer status (IEng, CEng) and professional memberships fees covered
NOTE TO EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES: We are currently working with only our preferred suppliers.
To express an interest in this position, simply apply below or you can e-mail email@example.com with a cover letter and CV, quoting the job reference number.
Senior Protection Systems Engineer
- Permanent | Full time
- Job reference: TD-2020-18
- Something wrong! Please double check your input.