With a focus on operational technology and digital transformation, Capula, part of the EDF Group, has been a leader in advanced system integration for decades; optimising efficiency & delivering performance on a massive scale. But with continuous innovation at the heart of our business, we’ve always got our sights set on the future. We work in some of the most highly regulated and challenging industrial environments, and have delivered critical projects across energy, water, renewables and manufacturing.
Summary of Role:
The System Engineer will be responsible for performing the necessary engineering analysis, including the supporting calculations, for a specific system(s) in order to produce the system documentation required for the HPC project working from either an office base or later on-site as part of site engineering. The System Engineer will act as the central point of contact for system(s) which fall(s) under their responsibility. This role is for a System Engineer specialising in either HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning), fluid/distribution or waste treatment systems design.
- Responsible for system design and system integration into overall HPC design:
- Produce, Review and update the system documentation for the mechanical and thermo-hydraulic design, electrical, operator instructions, human machine interface, safety and environmental, control logic design, as well as periodic testing in compliance with the engineering rules, methodologies, quality processes, and tools
- Particularly for Instrumentation and Control, performing the analysis for defining the I&C Functional Requirements of the system and production of the I&C logic :
- Writing of the Instrumentation and Control Functional Requirements
- Writing of Detailed Functional Diagram (DFD)
- Writing of the FTP (Functional test platform procedure) specifications
- Analysis of the results of the FTP tests
- Writing of P5 text (I&C logic description)
- Writing of P6.x (alarms sheets, operating images, operating modes)
- Particularly for mechanical design:
- sizing of components e.g. pumps, fans, pipework, pressure relief valves, tanks
- Perform thermal-hydraulic calculation and modelling with in house or commercial tools
- Ensuring the 3D model is consistent with the intended system design
- Formulate equipment specification and provide the data in respective database or data sheet
- Support to procurement team in formulation of technical specification for contract documentation
- Support to procurement team in technical surveillance of supplier documentation
- Analysis and verification of input data, requirements, and lessons learnt from other stations
- Engage proactively with all stakeholders around the system to ensure the delivery of a product meeting the requirements set by all disciplines (layout, civil, hazard, nuclear safety, environment, configuration management, procurement …)
- Contribute to topics around good practises, innovation, improvement of processes, and quality
- Participate in experience sharing activities within the discipline
- Management of modifications related to the system including:
- Managing requests for modifications to system(s) issued by various external parties by producing specifications and following engineering cycle (I&C and/or mechanical design changes specifications)
- Analysis and verification of the applicability of these modifications and challenging them as appropriate
- Developing technical solutions and presenting them to the client to help resolve technical issues (technico-economic optimisation approach)
- Utilising the electronic Engineering Change Management tool
- Support to System Coordinator for relevant building:
- Producing and updating component datasheets for handovers with detailed designers
- Producing and updating P&IDs with all relevant design changes for handovers with detailed designers
- Liaising with other stakeholders through participation at kick off meetings, gate reviews etc relevant to the system.
- Mechanical or Chemical Engineering degree or equivalent qualification
- Knowledge of Instrumentation and Control design
- Experience of producing design documentation and Test Specifications
- Knowledge of nuclear system design, thermal-hydraulic calculation and modelling
- Working knowledge of fluid mechanics, heat transfer and thermodynamics
- Knowledge of PWR or AGR power station design and system
- Knowledge of EPR design principles and Safety Classification
- Understanding of Safety Case construction and Nuclear Safety requirements placed on systems
- Knowledge of UK licensing requirements and its application within the HPC project
- Familiarity with Human Performance techniques
- Experience of working on an operating plant or on an industrial site
NOTE TO EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES: We are currently working with only our preferred suppliers.
To express an interest in this position, simply apply below or you can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and CV, quoting the job reference number.
- Full time | 2 year fixed term
- Job reference: N-2021-03
- Something wrong! Please double check your input.